Wednesday 16 January 2013

Moments of Gratitude #4


Today I am grateful for the stand of pines at the bottom of my garden.

In the evenings, the stars show through their dark branches. In the morning, grey squirrels skitter up and down the trunk, their tails furled and their eyes as black as peppercorns.

When it's cold, they scatter needles that turn silver and glitter. When it's warm, they send out a glorious smell, of sap, and green, and living.

The tallest pine is over a hundred years old. I like to imagine the things it could tell me. The birds it has known. The moons it has seen. The girls who have read beneath the spread of its welcoming branches...



2 comments:

  1. Loving these moments of gratitude. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed visiting your blog and could almost see those pine trees! We have a lot of pine trees here in Georgia, including some beautiful loblolly pines! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete